Sunday, September 16, 2018

Ghosts of Past, Present, and Future


"Today's child is growing up absurd, because he lives in two worlds, and neither inclines him to grow up."
- Marshall McLuhan

As I take my first steps into ART240 - New Media in Art at Lawrence University I am filled with self-doubt. Am I even an artist? I am a writer, but writing is not one of the “fine arts.” But I have created and will to continue create content intended for entertainment.

PAST


Throughout my childhood I would embark on fan projects based on my favorite forms of entertainment. Often this was fan-fiction, but sometimes it took the form of a comic, animation, or video game. It was during these spells that I taught myself rudimentary computer editing skills, and even tried to learn to draw.

Footage of my contemplating the past can be found here.

PRESENT


As a student here at Lawrence University, I am more frequently called upon to create original art. Here is the channel of my experimental creations for film classes taken so far at Lawrence.

FUTURE


It is my dream to inspire a creator, just as so many creators have inspired me. Whether or not the project that does this inspiring could hang in a museum doesn’t matter to me.

I say that it doesn’t matter, but then why do I object when I hear that video games are not considered fine art when, increasingly, films are? Maybe one day I will be a video game developer, and make a game like Myst.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how this post takes the viewer on a journey, not only through words but through the visual presentation. This creates an aesthetically pleasing image

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how concise and clear this post is in describing you as an artist and a writer.

    ReplyDelete